Monday 25 December 2017

Phat S'lann - Giant slaver toad from Katsina


The end of the year is clearly not the perfect time to get anything meaningful done hobby wise but in the wirlwind of emergencies before leaving on holiday, I did manage to finish ONE final model !
I am very pleased I could get this particular one done as it's one from Katsina Miniatures run by the most excellent Doti and Seán.
So what is it ? Well it's originally a giant Bizaza Slaver. You might remember Katsina's first Kickstarter which got me to get my hands on a set of excellent frog people (ignoring any cultural prejudice). This guy came just after those, due for a coming KS (which I'm very eager to see live).
Just so you fully get why this model is extra awesome, it's Doti's first sculpt ! She may have had a good sensei but you'll have to admit she did something unbelievable here !


As you can see, I did shamelessly alter the model that was handed to me but that's entirely due to the fact I didn't want a slaver in the band and more of a heavy hitter and part time leader. It would make the model fit more into the setting I have in mind as well.
Yes, I said band, there are more coming.

Now I hope you'll enjoy watching those fat folds of skin as much as I enjoyed painting them ! I've painted a fair bunch of "amateur" sculpts (totally not a negative word for me) in the past and honestly, this one felt more enjoybable than some pro sculpts.


Because the skin takes a LOT of space on this model, I wanted to give it variations and a feel of vibration without making it look like an add for epilepsy. The nuances don't show everywhere but I'm fairly happy with the result.


I'm very glad I could take this picture of 2 frogs dear to my heart since they're both the result of the work of fellow WIPsters of mine.


I've been working on vertically challenged people a lot lately and will do so a bit more in the beginning of the coming year but be sure I'll get back to the toads soon enough !

In the meantime I hope you're all having a wonderful time in this transition to the new year with all the festivities around (or not if they're not relevant to you, have a great time anyway !!!).

Next post will be the classic 2017 review to see if we managed to make 2017 a hobby worthy year (Spoilers : yes).

19 comments:

  1. Lovely job on him, I think the paint job does the model justice. The crystal wand thing works well as a substitution for the whip. Looking forward to seeing the other frogs finished next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, this big guy has bosted my motivation, who would have thought 15 frogs were too much for me ? ^^

      Delete
  2. Excellent skintones, he looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec ,)
      Glad you like him and bonnes fêtes !

      Delete
  3. Wonderful paint job on a great sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of the crystal, but the skin is amazing!

    Lovely stuff mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you did here you naughty you... 😉
      Cheers !

      Delete
  5. What a fucking bastard He is! Insnt he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is, you'll see him soon enough 😉

      Delete
  6. Excellent work sir, in every way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...