Thursday 5 October 2017

Ordo Biologis acolytes



There are some ideas you just don't see coming although they've been in your head for a while. Well these guys are of that kind !
I was very excited about the release of the objectives box along the new 8th edition of warhammer 40k and one model had especially grabbed my attention.
Once I got my hands on thebox, I realised something just wasn't right for me :


The lamp stand and halogen light above were saying "gross furniture" louder than "cool lab assistant". So I got my hands on a Space Hulk C.A.T. and gave the tracks to our good assistant, making him immediately WAY more serious !


With some spare parts and my fingers hot, I built a second acolyte to go with him, going 


The conversions have remained for a few months unattended on the desk until I decided I wanted them done.
I have great projects for them. The likes of which I cannot tell you about right now but which will surely lead to something some will enjoy (eventually).


The acolytes are not "aligned" in any obvious way, meaning I'l be able to field them along a Magos Biologis or perhaps some darker characters...


I have to get back behind the desk now, I've spent quite some time on terrain which as rewarding as it can be once done, tales A LOT of time before anything enjoyable comes out...
Oh and of course, it's orctober so, y'know... ^^


31 comments:

  1. Perfect conversions, one would be forgiven to think they were models designed that way. Something of the Meat Machine from Chainsaw Warrior, and an automaton from Jim Cawthorns visions of the Dark Empire for Hawkmoon. Evocative stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are brilliant conversions. The 'lab assistant'is much improved on the original 'IKEA' version of 40K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great stuff as ever. I think the tracked lab assistant is the pic of the two - the conversion is really rather effortless and looks seamless. I very much like the liquids you've painted in your syringes and those sinister bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tracked assistant was the mzin goal if this all but the other one was a nod to Tsutomu Nihei, an artist I really like.
      I added the bubbles later on as it made the liquids look a bit corrosive (and a bit like soda too).
      Thanks !

      Delete
  4. Good eye for the bits! The CAT-head one looks like borrowed from a Lady Gaga choreography to me, which I think adds even more versatility to the character :D
    Seriously, cool job here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ga-Ga-Grimdark choreography, ha!

      "Gross furniture" made me laugh too A-Man.

      The figs are fun. There must be a dark matter counterweight in that C.A.T. :)

      Delete
    2. I suspect there's an engine between those tracks although I do like the idea of that guy falling flat on the ground... 😊
      Thanks guys !

      Delete
  5. Ooh, love what you've done with the objective guy and the CAT. Will be hard not to 'borrow' that idea. The painting on the liquids is superb too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we just borrow ideas !
      Glad you like those, thanks!

      Delete
  6. They're fabulous. Can only echoe what the others have said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must...not...steal...idea....oh man, sorry I'm going to steal that idea! It's too cool, can't help myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't steal ideas, it's just borrowing, go ahead ! I do that all the time ! ^^

      Delete
  8. Bravo! Great vision mate, and beautifully done - top job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alex, I'm glad to have those characters available for future games ! ^^

      Delete
  9. I might have to steal your idea here with the use of the objective- this was the one I disliked the most, and consequently, its been sitting in a box untouched since release. Wonderful conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough although there were points I disliked about it, it was the one that made me get the bow, the lamp stand just had to go though. ^^

      Delete
    2. Upon seeing the picture of it, the escape pod was what drew my attention first, but I haven't painted it yet. The others, the communication parts, are more excellent than I initially realized- they're nice little bits of scatter terrain that don't look too out of place along the walkways of the Manufactorum terrain or with the Promethium pipes.

      Delete
  10. Great stuff ... I'm truly always in awe how you can make the colour scheme look so appealing and yet make them true to the subject. That's talent sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really comes from the fact I always work with the same colours ! ^^
      But thanks !

      Delete
    2. If it works, it works. :) I too hope to find a sweet spot in colors one day that I can actually be very good at.

      Delete
  11. Really cool job!!
    And the painting is awesome really...
    I'm working on som "ordo biologis" myself,
    hope those will end up looking as good as yours (It's fun to dream XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing really fancy here ! I'm interested to see yours if you can share a link when they're done.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...