Tuesday 29 March 2016

Petar Felk - Imperial investigator

  
Brushes were starting to itch a little after quite a while away from them and spending too much with the modelling knife and putty (more about that soon). I've decided that a little reunion with painting would be a good and amongst a fistful of models I've just primed there were these 2 guys that were very appealing.
These models are from the Kickstarter "Outlanders !" designed by Paul Field (the excellent Mason on LAF amongst other places) and that go with the other models from Blind Beggar.


Mason has kindly proposed to get me a set of the models in advance and I have to say I couldn't really say no !

This last kistarter is centered around providing colonists from the furture. I really like teh idea behind those as I think even in the future, real colonisation can only be done by settlers and adventurers. This part of our imaginary universes is of greater interest to me than the wars fought around them.
Those outlanders have a bit of US Pioneers, steampunk and post apoc in them and they are just perfect for the purpose of colonies.

Now that I've said that, you will have understood that my contradictory self had to paint the first 2 otherwise...
I fully intend to paint the others as colonists but these 2... I had something else in mind... I just love the perplex look of him and the dog fits him so well.

Then I've realised that before the Rogue traders and inquisitors are called, someone has to make the call. And that someone must have enough power and credit to do so. You just can't send a rogue trader and a whole fleet ready for the Exterminatus on a whim...

That's how Petar Felk was born...


"Petar Felk is an imperial investigator. Affiliated to the administratum most of his work is to check and investigate every suspicious intel that gets back to his hierarchy. Any call for sects, suspicions of mutants, chaos or even neighbour tax frauds, investigators are here to determine what the next course of action is. Most of the time, the action will go to local law enforcement (adeptus arbites) but sometimes it may have to go  a little higher...

Investigators are often regarded as people of low power and influence but theres nothing as wrong as that. On their judgement and decisions lie the fate of many... It's not exaggerated to think the balance of peace on a given world relies on those men.

Petar Felk is one of those old agents who's seen far too much and who weighs every action and word before thinking about it."

"- How about you close your eyes on this little cartel that's probably not even illegal, it is for the benefit of most people in the hive you know ?
-How about I say no and you give me a solution that proves you're going to make that drug traffic profitable for the whole Hive ?"
As you can see there's a lot of possible uses for such a character and I think he'll be as enjoyable to play as he was to paint.
For the record his dog is a regular dog modified with the famous Cyber K9 kit that was meant to fix injuried dogs. The kit was extremely easy to use and quite affordable for anyone with the right names. It is said some humans even used it to fix themselves but with very hasardous results. 
The one following Petar right now must be the 7th or 8th so he's kind of lost track and just calls it "dog". The mind controller in his hat actually does most of the controlling for him and the CyK9 unit proves a valuable asset for an aging agent that's grown bored of running after people and grabbing their testicles to reach their mind.

If you like the model, go check it and the others on the Kickstarter ;)

So here we are, hope you like this, more to come very soon ;)

20 comments:

  1. I really do like this figure and his companion. Fun characterful sculpt, and great brushwork as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice figure that could play a lot of roles depending on the colourscheme alone. I already have images of ash waste nomads coming to a remote colony to trade ressources for goods... ummm, the power of imagination !

      Delete
  2. Very cool JB, a steampunk Rogue Trader super-sleuth! What's not to love about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alex, I'm really excited to get this guy investigating the depths of the underhive and some other weird places ! (Need to pull my fingers out and get cracking on scenery now)

      Delete
  3. Lovely job on the black JB; a technique you excel in so well. Beautiful work on the dog's fur and the doggles ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie about it, the black is a super lazy method involving a very dark german grey, a few highlights and a good wash of Nuln Oil really !

      Cheers Ed !

      Delete
  4. Nice work. I love those skin tones. And that's a great background for the character. These are my favourite models from the KS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 2 are great because they're useful for many roles, I'm really excited to get sworking on some caravans and shanty houses for the outlanders, this hsould provide an excellent setting for games and stories.
      Glad you like teh background, I thought it would be cool to have an investigator in the grim darkness of the far future ;)

      Delete
  5. The concept of an Imperial Investigator is brilliant, and the paint on both are great. Awesome figures all-around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of a space Columbo/Deckard was too appealing not to try really. I'll paint a few arbites to go with him.

      Cheers man !

      Delete
  6. While I'm not fond of all the characters, these doggies really do stand out. And your painting really fit them well. I could see plenty of use to such beasts. Thanks for the input about the KS !

    The better part : the bits of story you manage to infuse in your posts and paints : a magical combination !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been quite lazy on teh Background part for a while and wante dto come back to it as it's an important part of the process to me. I can't really paint a model if I have no idea of what he's like in his universe.
      The settlers are real nice, I think I'll try to emphasise the post-apoc native american vibe of them to suit the desertic table I'm building. This will be fun you'll see ;)

      Delete
    2. I sure can see plenty of use for such models :) The background you'll create for them sure promises to be interesting !

      Delete
  7. A perfect fit for the farthest reaches of the Imperium of Man.

    The dog is great, it's fishy eyes are very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, they open a new horizon. I really like the low-tech look of the hound. Wouldn't make much sense to have top technology on a pet really.

      Thanks !

      Delete
    2. I'll second that on the dog...top job JB :)

      Delete
  8. Stunning work man ... simply stunning! Love the gem-like eyes, very well painted that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they were a night's worth of work really but plenty of fun on those guys !
      Those big eyes needed a good lense effect !

      Delete
  9. Lovely. You have developed a quite recognizable painting style, it can be seen in such different kinds of sculpts. It's lovely, man, you make them all look so coherent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's quite a compliment, thanks ! I love to ses them all tied on sol way, the limites number of techniques I use does the rest.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...