Wednesday 9 March 2016

Khorne Blood Slaughterer and a little rust tutorial


We all have one of those, I 'm sure you do. I'm not specifically talking about a Khorne Blood Slaughterer but I'm talking about that one model most people find shitty (and which we partly find shitty too) but that we love for some obscure reason...
I'd like to think there's no shame in loving those because as long as it makes us happy and annoys no one, then it just makes the world a better place.
Well the model above just happens to be one of those. I must have discovered it in a WD a loooong time ago and I was immediately shocked by the concept.



Let's start with what doesn't work in this model to end on a postitive note shall we ?

The balance : I'm an engineer. It's neither a source of shame nor pride but it's what I do for a living and I quite like it because it fits with my need for cold hard logic (the poetic part of things come in other forms). 
Why am I explaining all that ? Well just look at the picture above and it might look as appalling to you as it does to me. I know Khorne engineers must be focusing on weapons and all but the very balance of the build looks stupid, most of the mass is in front of the axle of the front wheel. It's like the designer meant for the machine to fall all the time to enrage it even more or to force it to always move forward in order to keep balance.


The design : From the picture above you can see there's no piston or suspension for the main wheels, meaning every shock must shake the whole engine every time, the slightest gravel under the wheel must be felt by the demon in command (another good way to enrage it furthermore). The joints at the shoulders don't seem to have been made for anything else than rotation (though I've given an angle to mine for more dynamism).


The sculpting : Now on top of this the sculpting is not excatly top-notch let's face it. It's a rough scratch build with joints between pieces very easy to spot on the model (I didn't even try to fix those in all honesty) and the sculpted parts aren't exactly top of the art.

Now I've said all the bad things I think of it, I'd liketo come to the main point : I love it.

I love it because it's just a shameless attempt at making a cool and fun model. Sure it looks like the enraged crossbreed between a lawn mower and a wheelchair and sure it does look like it wouldn't be of any use in battle and would very easily be incapacitated in actual combat (a stick through the wheels comes to mind), but it's saying loudly and clearly what it means : FRENZIED BLOOD ROBOT.

The original studio paint job drives the nail a little deeper with an orgy of bright red and green to make sure everyone notices it on the field !

You can see I've opted for a fairly different approach painting wise to match with my renegades.


While I was at it, I took the time to make a little tutorial about how I paint rust since it's a technique I've used quite a lot lately. It's a very simple and rapid one but I quite fancy the look of it so for now it is my go to recipe for rusted steel/iron.

Here are the main paints I use, you can of course opt for others, it's just a rough idea of what you need.
The first couple on the left is to make the base wih warplock bronze and a dark brown to form the base then another couple of either lighter brown. The second couple is just here to provid echoice, I only use one but select it depending on the look I want, the deeper one will be used if the model is meant to have flashy colours while the brighter one will be used if the model is to be generally dark (I always work on contrasts). For this model I opted for the brighter one.
Then you have a pot of Agrax eathshade (don't think I have to present that one to anyone) and to finish, my beloved cadmium red (easily in my all time top 3 paints) and a clear orange.



Apart from the base coat applied with a normal brush, all the steps will be done with the worst brush I have at hand. We all have some like this :


First step is easy, just basecoat all the rusted parts in Warplock Bronze :


Now here comes the technical part. take your dark brown and your shitty brush and just keep enough paint in it to leave traces like below by stippling


Now you can stipple all the metallic parts with that, make sure to be as sloapy as you can be, this has to be random and loose, any neat application will ruin the effect really. Here are some shots of what it should look after that (click to enlarge) :


Now take your next brown and repeat the exact same process but a little more ligtly and try to cober a little less areas (see the lighter traces left by the brighter brown) :

You should get around something like this :


Now just open your pot of agrax earthshade (or equivalent) and apply it loosely all around, just make sure you don't drown any area (it could leave annoying white marks) and that it covers all the areas :


Now you're done, you're only 2 steps away from completion ! Just stipple again with cadmium red (or any equivalent dark orange), with lighter touches and less coverage. The cool thing with this technique is that it's fairly easy to dose how rusted you want things to be) 



Last step is to provide a very few and light touches of very bright orange to mak tings pop. Once again, you can dose how you like it, I do think it's better without too much of it but that's just me. When you're done you have your base for fully rusted steel/iron !
These parts will be tidied a bit afterwards with black lining between th ejoints and some mithril silver highlights here and there to reveal the sane steel where rust has been chipped off :



After that I only had to push highlights on the black parts to use the same technique used on my renegades and my assassin (tutorial here).


With teh final wash of black, I only had a few details to pick and mettallics to finish :


All in all this was a fairly easy and rapid paint job. I didn't really try to polish it too much. I only tried to replicate some red OSL in the recesses to give it an inner fire and try (to my level) something like what Don Hans achieved with brio on his late chaos squats :

CHECK DON HANS IF YOU DON'T ALREADY
So here's a couple of group shots along some of the heavy guys of the army so far :


And with his flock of marines ! (I realise I need to paint my khorne renegades ASAP now...



So here we are, I hope you managed to like a few things despite the length and model implied ;)
Can't say what's gonna come next for I don't know myself but I've been doing a lot of modelling lately (hence the decreased number of painted models). Some good shall come out of it ;).

36 comments:

  1. Never thought I'd say it but that Blood Slaughterer looks brilliant! Definitely a good move to ditch the lime green and strawberry reds of the studio paint job.

    Cheers for the rust tutorial as well - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its flaws but actually cherish them ! I just couldn't go with the original PJ though and it had to match the rest of the army anyway !

      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  2. If i ever, ever was to share a battlefield with this tricycle of death i would make jokes about handicaped people, wheelchairs and sceneries each time it would move. "Hey that forest is not fit to welcome reduced mobility people, call the association for demon rights!". All the time. That and wheel creaking. Nice tutorial by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you would be right to do so ! I think this model is here exactly for that purpose ! It's stupid so let's be stupid with it too !
      ON the other end I'm pretty sure it can solve most of its matters with violence, it will chop trees and mowe stairs flat with his axe and whip, always falling on its face but always standing up even more furious !

      Delete
  3. Excellent tutorial JB and the end result is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, with hindsight, I wish I had found a better replacement for the missing whip and the glowing red parts aren't bright enough but the model doesn't need more than this I find ;)

      Delete
  4. i am going to try that rust tutorial sometime. the finished job is quite special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rust effect has been better on other models really, the brush really was too old for it but I think it still looks the part. There are 5 steps which might seem a lot but apart from teh wash, they all take a few seconds so I find it a great way to cover large areas in no time !

      Cheers !

      Delete
  5. Nicely done JB, I love this hilarious machine also. I am feeling unmanned by your finished slaughterer while mine languishes in the half-finished corner. The rust looks tip-top too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours will come in due time and they'll drive-fall-stand (repeat) hand in hand (or shall I say whip in powerglove...).
      Cheers ;)

      Delete
  6. Awesome. Great to see the Blood Slaughterer painted up so well. I like the darker tones and the rust. Much better than the 1992 bright red.
    The engineering analysis was great. I always attributed any anomalies to it being animated by Chaos energy.

    Still loving your Chaos Renegades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you still love them as I have a trucload more to paint ! I'll probably update the painting on those at some point as I quite fancy the glowing red parts on the BS !

      Delete
  7. Wow... what a bizarre model - I must've deleted this from my memory somehow! I can see the appeal though... wonder what it would look like with legs!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird isn't it ? I'm pretty sure a good build could be done with legs from the 2nd ed chaos dreadnought actually !

      Delete
    2. Hmmm.... Mmmm? ;-)

      Delete
  8. Such a cool model JB, and I enjoyed the analysis as well. No how can I fit in talking about my profession of gutters in a hobby post? I guess the lack there of in all warhammer architecture. No one wants to collect rain that could kill you I guess. Oh well it was a thought. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we do have gutter runners don't we ? That means we must have gutters as well !

      Thanks bud !

      Delete
    2. Well you got me there. I might have to work up a gutter post lmao

      Delete
    3. I posted about dull, imagination-free, low paid, public service bureaucrats last year, so I'm covered.

      Time to hit us with the gutter post I reckon :D

      Nice work JB. Even though it has always been daft looking, even back in 92 (rendering it a classic, golden era, product by some measures) it was a bizarre design.

      You did a great job with it.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Paul, I think those kind of models require a different take from the old one to have a chance to "work" with today's standards. Not saying I lifted it much higher but I tried to polish it a little ;)

      Delete
    5. LOL Alright Cheetor and JB I have a draft post about gutter now, it is in the works at some point officially now.

      Delete
    6. Everybody his own piece of the puzzle dude ;) I'm eager to read it now ^^

      Delete
  9. I can see some RT Slann, Mounted Renegades, a Nurgle Palanquin, some Chaos warriors, a couple of Genestealers in the background there that I reckon you should have chosen to paint instead JB :p

    All jokes aside, I like how your rusting effect turns out. I'll have to add it to my repertoire.

    Cheers buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye bud ! There are plenty of things I could have painted earlier I know but it was a challenge and I just couldn't falter !

      Cheers !

      Delete
  10. I have to say, I am quite fond of the model myself. Something about the way it looks so rickety appeals to me; I can imagine it clanking and squeaking as it rolls across the battlefield, rattling so much it almost falls apart. It makes a nice change from the bombastic and beefy miniatures we tend to see for Chaos.

    Good paint job too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erny on the forum mentionned it could be some kind of old mad construct reactivated by miostake by some adventurers and I really loved the idea ! There's definitely something goofy and cartoony about this model but I think we all love it for that. :)

      Delete
  11. "...the enraged crossbreed between a lawn mower and a wheelchair..." LOL
    Seriously, the result is unbelievable. Though not being myself a fan of the mini, you made it look amazing. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you laughed at that ^^
      Cheers Suber, you're the best !

      Delete
  12. Gawds that is a terrible model.... But then that's coming from a Squat lover, so my credentials aren't all that hot. :)

    Painted wonderfully though mate.

    Thanks for the rust tut' - I'll try it out on my upcoming Soviet tanks I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not flawless, far from it, but as you can see tehre's plenty to like too, it's just a little weird in the 40k context really ;)

      Cheers !

      Delete
  13. You made a quite silly model look grim with that paint job! Ace work!
    Good read as well with your engineering assessment - "...here's no piston or suspension for the main wheels..." LOL. Maybe an pull/push-rod suspension a la F1 is the answer?

    Thanks for the mentioning as well
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hans, my attempt on the red parts pales next to your models but I t was pretty fun and I'll try more of that in the future for sure !
      Maybe you're right for the suspensions, there are too many flaws anyway, one more or less won't change much at that point ;)

      Delete
  14. Great rust tutorial ... you can never ever know too many ways to paint rust ... and that's a fact! :) Thanks for sharing, and yes, the latest mini looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one has the benefit of being easy and quick, always handy to have many strings to one's bow indeed ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...