Tuesday 16 December 2014

Space metalhead - Rogue trader civilians




Here he is, my space metalhead ! You right remember that this model was first intended as a space drunk in this post. Well Erny suggested to tie it to one of the other Oldhammer bands and this was a great idea I had to use right away!

This meant I was going to give the Mushrööm Klöwds their first fan model !

Just like any other real proper band, the Mushrööm Klöwds have to tour, and just like for any real proper band touring, fans need Touring dates T-shirts :








The Mushrööm Klöwds are a renowned glam/death/prog/speed metal band which has been tööring the entire galaxy to spread face melting solos, mischief and hazardous fashion all over the world :


Pictures from Sho3box

This band is as famous for its music than for the part it takes in numerous fights and skirmishes all across the galaxy.

Their latest known encounter was with members of the Squat Heavy Industrialist Union and many other gangs during what has become known as the "Battle of the Foundry" during which many members were involved creating a strong feud between the 2 groups :

Heavy Industrialist Union trying to get away with a "crush and run" attempt on the bassist (playing a solo)...

This encounter was clearly not the last and by looking at the Töörbus you can tell that the band intends to literally fight its way to the top of the world of glam/death/prog/speed metal.


Picture from Sho3box

I really like the idea of a human being fan of an orkish rock band, you can imagine him being ostracized by all the other metlaheads around because how low can you get being fan of an alien band (maybe just as low as wearing dreadlocks while being white...) ? He even dyes his hair green to look a little orkish since tattooing himself entirely green would  prove a tad expensive and somehow painful...
His name is Darrell Roses but most people call him "Douchebag Darrell" because even in the future, stupidity, prejudices and hatred are unfortunately still wide common denominators...


That's how I turned this :

to this :






To this (taking Erny's comments into account) :


Aaaaand this :


I really think the headphones work better this way. They're reminiscent of the 80's Ttape players like the famous walkman :


The sculpt is pleasant to paint but a little weird, the pose is not clearly evident on photos and you have to hold it to get it. The right hand is also particularly crudely sculpted (or maybe it's just a miscast). The face is also twisted to emphasize the drunken look of him but it's twisted to an extent you almost feel like there's a casting issue (don't think it's the case since all other parts are well aligned).


What I really like most about that simple conversion is that it serves no real purpose, it's a an unarmed model than can have no particular role in any combat. On the other hand I find it absolutely essential because it offers opportunities gaming wise to add background and depth, it can simply be here for ambiance or for gaming purposes and it ties my work with that of other people I appreciate like Captain Crooks or Cheetor/Shoebox.

Things like that really enable to explore the vast imaginative worlds we're offered rather than focusing on 100% authentic zero-retcon canon (and building brazillions of plastic space marine kitbashes). This may be giving too much importance to a 28 mm conversion of a drunken metalhead but who best than our little toy men to tell who we are ?

Huuum , actually next time, I may very well be presenting you space hookers so let's forget about what I just wrote shall we?


25 comments:

  1. Brilliant little space weirdo, I'm now thinking of painting one of my scavvies as an MK fan. Ostracised form normal society for loving an Orky group he has taken up with other outcasts in the lower hive where he can love them in peace (or more likely war). I love this cross fertilization we've got going on!

    Great Figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would indeed be fun to see MK fan outcasts a bit everywhere or concert posters on buildings and that kind of thing.

      Thanks Colin !

      Delete
  2. I love him to bits man.
    I proudly wore my GNR "Get In The Ring" Tour shirt till it literally fell apart, and can't help but get teary eyed at the sight of a Walkman or (sadly) cassette tape- or the famed, ill fated GNR/Metallica/FNM tour and the stories from it.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man !

      I too loved to wear my "butchered at birth" T-shirt or Megadeth Ts, it's just a little harder now...

      Delete
  3. Absolutely wonderful! He's very clearly RT, metal-head and drunk, so its a big win all round. The t-shirt is nicely painted, but the walkman is the best part...somehow it still looks futuristic, even though it's an ancient bit of technology.

    Very nice work JB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !
      I really wanted an "old future" look for him, the walkman and converse all stars serve that purpose. I rememebr the cyberpunk rulebook where you get explanations that fax is the technology of the future and where cell phones look like bricks, computers have green screens and all that...

      Delete
  4. I am 100% going to run that little metalhead over with a motorcycle. Not because I hate him, not because he thinks that's how walking works, not even because he is clearly a hipster using walkman technology that is 40,000 years out of date. Just because I can. I'm coming for you Mr Roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah you do that and then the minute after, some other Orkish metal fan is going to beat to death a fan of Minekraftwerk, the famous squat industrial techno rock band...
      From that this will only be an escalation to something so big it will hide all other conflicts.

      Oh and Walmen are totally not hipster things in 40k, they're the future ;)

      Delete
    2. Walkmen are... the future?! My mind... it's bendingaaaaargh!!!

      Delete

  5. As their representative in this reality, the Klöwd have asked me to express their intention to rip your guts out and spread them all over the bonnet of the Töör Bus for bootlegging their merch to lowlifes. Just because they are pan-sector rok artists with houses with more bathrooms than you have slotta bases doesnt mean that you are entitled to rip off their hard work/IP.

    Its like Napster all over again :(

    ;)

    (Great work JB. I very much want to see "Douchebag" alongside his idols at some point soon. Minkraftwerk is coming...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'm afraid he wil lhave nothing intelligent to say to them but after all, I don't believe they'd expect anything clever from their fans either...

      I've had this "Willy Idol" model idea in the head for some time now, maybe it's time to make it happen... with a rebel yell.

      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
    2. Willy Idol, heh. I had a real lol from that.

      I definitely want to see a 40k themed "Willy Idol", Im giggling like Muttley at the thought...

      Delete
    3. You might want to think over this... Willy Idol is quite an annoying punk wannabe and he has that weird habbit of twisting his mouth whenever he talks (or sings)

      Delete
  6. This is one of the best things I've seen in awhile - love the fact you've created so much fluff for the band and that they even have a tour bus - great, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The band and töörbus are not my work, they're from Sho3box.
      Only the metalhead and IP theft are mine. I might add I run over the bassist with a giant bulldozer but he got more credit from that than I did since he survived...

      Delete
    2. Haha, I imagine playing a game with those guys must be a rad time. Cheers for pointing that out, the metalhead is proper sick though, love the headphones and tour shirt!

      Delete
  7. "Oh and Walmen are totally not hipster things in 40k, they're the future ;) "
    hahaa! awesome conversion, and in total agreeance with your above quote/comment.
    love the little miscreant, he's obviously en route to his recycled meat product take-away, delivery job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right Jessica, I even think it is called synth diet in Rogue trader or confrontation ;)

      oh and yeah, walkmen, synthesisers and faxes are the future !

      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  8. You have scooped me! I have every intention to put up an MK Toör Poster amongst the grafiti on the walls I'm finishing up for my Moab II ghost town temporarily/occasionally inhabited by orcs. Lovely conversion. I'm inclined to think his face is a miscast, since they were so common in early Citadel and it looks like that's probably the mold parting line (to minimize negative space from his very strange pose.) But hey, it all works and you've done a fabulous job with him. Again. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the pose is what it is but after second look the mould parts might have moved because the space I could see in the face is also visible on the hand below. I don't really care about this anyway since I'm not looking for competition painting but to have characterful NPCs to field in games.
      I'd really want to bring back the spirit of teh old scenario packs but for 40k.

      Oh and extending the RT setting we're building is the way to go, we already have a goff band, an industrial planet Ferrograd and a group od squat unionist. ;)

      Thanks a lot for the feedback, I believe the following models will have a warm welcome after that !

      Delete
    2. Colour me flattered and amused at the idea of seeing some Klöwd references in Moab II Composer. I will be keeping an eye out :)

      Oh yeah, if you prep an image of the poster then I would be grateful if you could make it available. My "Standard Falls" terrain still has a couple of places that could take a poster or three :)

      Delete
  9. Brilliantly brilliant. When are you setting up an online shirt shop for MK merch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess this could be the best form of aknowledgment to have Tshirts to the colour sof each others models, like those metal bands wearing each others shirts...
      Maybe if we can figure a way to do some cool designs there can be something done for small batches.... who knows ;)

      Thanks !

      Delete
  10. Very cool, Mr. ALMan, but also I'm a little freaked out because your great conversion looks a lot like me!!! Now all I have to do is get the T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ! It's been a year now I'm trying to make models that could look like you, didn't expect to get that close in so little time !
      Just to be honest, there's a little bit of me too in it (apart from the green hair).

      Thanks a lot Private !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...